They are now ready to cast spells, defeat trolls and dodge dragons. The outer fabric is wool suiting and the lining is broadcloth. I used a kid’s Simplicity pattern for wizard robes, but changed it so much that I wouldn’t really suggest it. I used this tutorial which was easy to follow and very detailed. The wool was a little stretchy so it was hard keeping everything in line, but hey, they’re just costumes!
Before I found the tutorial site, I was having a hard time trying to figure out how to make a pointed hood. I’ve only made square or rounded hoods, so this one was tough. After seeing the adjustments and modifying my pattern, the hoods came together easily and flowed well with the rest of the robe:
And I was even able to add wand pockets:
The boys have been wearing these off and on since the beginning without arms, hoods or pockets. Now that they are finished, I can’t get the robes off. They’re already stained with jelly, markers and dirt.
Happy Halloween Everyone!